We use cookies!

Hi, this website stores cookies on your computer. These cookies are used to improve your website experience and provide more personalised services to you. To find out more about the cookies we use, see our Privacy Policy.

What Documents do I Need to Sell my Car?

27 March 2023
You’ve decided to sell your car, so what happens next? Selling a car doesn’t need to be complicated and once you’ve decided you need to sell your vehicle, we make the process straight forward to ensure you get the best price for your car.

We’ll explore what documents you need to sell your car and how it works if you choose to us.

What documents do you need to sell a car?

To sell your car to an online dealer, you will need to bring the following documents with you:

  • V5C logbook
  • Your Driving License
  • Proof of address, this can be a utility bill dated in the last three months
  • BACS statement so we have your bank details to pay you
  • Up to date settlement figure if you have any outstanding finance

All these documents need to be registered to your current address.

Once we take ownership of your vehicle, you will need to hand over the service book to us and complete section 9 of the V5C registration document (section 6 and 8 if selling your car privately). This can be sent to the DVLA by post or online.
Help I’m not an organised person!

If you don’t have one of the above documents, please let us know during the valuation process and we may be able to help you.

Following the sale to us you will need to complete the following paperwork when selling your car:

  • Inform the DVLA you’ve sold your car
  • Contact your insurance company and cancel your car’s policy
  • If your car warranty was still valid, inform the warranty company about the change of vehicle ownership.
  • If during your ownership you had work carried out on the car, pass on the parts receipts to the buyer and inform the new owner of any insurance repairs that were carried out.

Reminder – don’t let a potential buyer keep or take photos of the car’s documents before the sale has been completed.

Top tips for car owners to make selling your car straightforward:

  • It’s good practice to keep all your vehicle details in one place. Make sure you file your V5C, MOT certificates, full-service history, warranty information (if still valid), and paper driving license in an easy to access place
  • Maintain insurance and road tax on your car until you have sold it
  • Know when your MOT is due. This is a key question buyers will ask

What paperwork do I need to sell my car privately?

Documents required to sell your car privately are:

  • V5C (logbook)
  • MOT certificates (a valid MOT is desirable to buyers)
  • Service history and service book (at each service try to make sure you get the book stamped, most cars now have a digital service record too)

Do I need proof of ownership to sell my car?

Proof of ownership is recommended in the form of the V5C logbook, it’s likely any potential buyer will ask to see this. This one document will tell potential buyers that their new car has a service history, as well as confirming the current owner and roadworthiness.

Can I sell my car without documents?

A potential buyer might be put off if you do not have a V5C for your car. It is strongly recommended to get a replacement V5C registration certificate if you need to sell your car. The buyer won’t be able to tax the car or get insurance cover without it and it could devalue your car.

How important is full-service history when selling a car?

Providing buyers with a full-service history increases buyer confidence that your car has been well maintained over time and it reconfirms the car’s mileage. It’s also a good idea to keep your car’s paper MOT certificates, this is especially key if you’re selling an older vehicle.

Before you complete a sale and pass over the whole dossier, you can cut out your name and address from the cars paperwork to protect your personal data.


All MOT certificates issued since 2006 are available online. Physical copies will be needed if you own an older vehicle.

A damaged or lost MOT certificate can be replaced for £10, purchased on the government website.

Who is responsible for sending off V5?

The seller must notify the DVLA of the sale online or by post. As the new owner, you do not have to do anything to transfer ownership. The new V5C certificate should arrive with you around five working days after your purchase.

How do I fill out a V5C when I sell my car to a Trader?

When selling a car to a trader or dealer, you must still notify the DVLA of the sale. You will need the V5C/3 yellow slip to notify the DVLA. The dealer will keep the rest of the V5C document and give it to the person who buys the vehicle from them.

What part of V5C do I keep when selling a car?

The part of the V5C to keep when selling a car is the V5C part 3, with the yellow slip. This is the part you use to notify the DVLA online or by post that you have sold the vehicle.

Do I need to give a receipt when selling a car?

It is a good idea to create a sales receipt including vehicle identification number, registration number, the car’s mileage plus the amount the new owner paid and the sale date. Create two copies as proof the car has been sold and ensure you both keep the same receipt on file.

Do I have to notify DVLA when I sell my car?

You will need to notify the DVLA when the sale has been completed. You can do this online or via post